Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Spiritual Act of Worship

My whole life, I have loved to sing. My first solo that I remember was in the biggest church production of a children's play I have ever been witness to, The Great Late Potentate. I practiced the song "Listen" like I was about to perform in front of thousands. I practiced so much that to this day, 20 years later, I can still sing every word.

As my life progressed, I would blast my music as loudly as my ears could physically handle (or as much as my parents could handle) and would rock out to Point of Grace until the whole CD was over, grab some water, and put in the next CD.

Then, came my car. Once I got to college and had long road trips home, I would load up my 12 CD disc changer and sing until I barely had a voice to talk when I reached my destination. When I was hired as a Spanish teacher, I had to drive to Charleston 2-3 times a week (depending on the semester). I would talk on the phone some as I got into the car and as I arrived at my destination (please no lectures, I had my hands-free device). On the way home after my 3rd night of class, I would typically ride in silence out of sheer exhaustion. But, I welcomed the hour of dead air where I couldn't talk on the phone. My iPod and I would have a time together. I would worship with tears running down my face and a few very memorable times where I could barely catch my breath over the amount of love pouring between my Lord and myself.

I completed my degree, quit my many drives to Charleston, and found myself missing my music! I had had too many audiology classes to be fearful of the hearing loss dangers to have Nina hearing any music above a whisper (exaggeration mine). Then, I got my running stroller. True, I will never be a competitive runner (nor do I have a desire to do so), and if nothing else, I have gotten my music back.

My reason for running is this: to take time to offer up my physical body to God while spending time in worship. Do not be surprised if you see me running with a hand held high, tears running down my face, and goosebumps down my spine. I have found my forum of worship. This evening, I ran with my head full of thoughts and fears that have become new in my life in the last 48 hours. I wrestled, prayed, and ran. It's all I could do. As I approached the end of my run, the song I needed to hear came on "Do it, Lord" by Travis Cottrell. "This is our prayer, oh God. This is my desperate cry. In these days that we're living now, let Your Kingdom come, let Your will be done."

"Therefore I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. I love how personal worship is... such an intimate time between us and our precious Father. This was such an encouragement to read this morning!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete