Monday, August 26, 2013

When did I become Type A?!

As a kid, I was known among my family for being super messy person. My mom gave up asking me to clean up my room everyday and opted for asking me to clear a path to my bed every night and to close my door before company came over. And oh, heavens if Nannie was coming over...
(Yes, that's a corded phone and the VHS of Home Alone)

(I cleaned when I knew Nannie was coming over)

(I mean, I even had this poster:)
Love it or leave it, y'all.

All of that changed when I went to college and realized that the matchbox dorm room I was given was my bedroom, living room, kitchen, dining room, and study. That began the beginning of my clean-freak days. My suite mates would try to move things around on my desk to see how long it would take me to recognize that things were moved. My senior year, I was our sorority's housing manager. Which meant I cleaned the kitchen. No words, y'all. None.

When I was in grad school, I lived with my brother and my "rent" was being his housekeeper. During the summers, I cleaned my parents' house too. However, something happened when it became MY house to clean: it wasn't fun anymore.

(Like, when I was a kid, I always loved cleaning my best friend, Ashley's, room and she loved cleaning mine. Odd children)

When I started teaching, I would teach full time and go to classes in the evening to complete my Spanish certification. At the same time, Lee was finishing his masters, and we were doing good to eat 2 meals at home a week (Including our weekly Dominoes run after my Monday night class.) (Gosh, when I think about how little we were home and our diet and *lack of* exercise program, it kind of *really* disturbs me.)

Fast forward a few years and our degrees are done (cue the angels singing), and I am a working mother who THRIVES on a routine and has a rigid cleaning and laundry schedule (thanks to Mia for teaching me about The FlyLady). My friends laugh about how I'm the OCD one. My mom is still fascinated that I WANT to be up early (I mean, as a kid, I had to go to afternoon kindergarten because I was so difficult to wake up.) to get my day rolling.

With school being back in session, I am having a TIME readopting my schedule. During the summer, I kept my laundry schedule going, but I had forgotten that it's toes to the fire from 5:00 am - 9:00 pm of constant on the go. 

And I only have ONE kid. ONE! 

HOW DO YOU WORKING  MOTHERS OF MULTIPLE KIDS STAY SANE!? 

I'M NEARLY IN AN OCD PANIC ATTACK! (Breathe. Breathe.)

Anyway, we have two soccer games this week, which adds to the chaos. But, I'm ready. My first full week of school (preceding Nina's 3rd birthday and Vol kickoff) will not beat me! Now, off to the busy schedule of the grocery store, playing doctor (my creativity with this game is running out), cooking dinner, laundry, cleaning zone 5, planting peppermint, hopscotch, bath time followed by book time and cuddles, and trying to fit in last night's episode of Sister Wives (Now THAT is an idea for cutting the schedule!)

In other (and MUCH more important) news: IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!! This is my cooking attire for the evening! GO VOLS!

1 comment:

  1. I was talking to my fellow kindergarten teachers about your menu planning. I told them I wish I could be that together with meals but I don't believe I could ever do meal planning like you do! That convo was last week. You inspired me to get up early and cook today!!! *sigh* I'm exhausted! I'm hoping to really start loving mornings!:)

    ReplyDelete