Sunday, December 15, 2013

Looking for a JOYOUS new year

As a kid, my OCD self was always very annoyed by the fact that most big buildings chose to leave #13 out of the lineup of floor numbers. Understanding that many people believe that #13 is bad luck, I always thought I could determine the optimism of a corporation by reading the numbers in an elevator. 

As 2013 approached, I felt the same way about the fear in people that 2013 was destined to be a bad year because of the year number alone. I began the challenge presented by the Living Proof ministry website to memorize a scripture on every 1st and 15th of the month. My first scripture came from Isaiah 43:19: "I am creating something new. There it is! Do you see it? I have put roads in deserts and streams in thirsty lands." I believe when I memorized this scripture, I narrowly believed that "new" meant "good". The scripture was right that something new was being created, just not the new I anticipated. 

With only 16 days left in the year, I have posted my 24th (and final) verse for 2013: "who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion." -Psalm 103:4 

I never anticipated, 24 verses ago, that the year could be filled with pits from which I would need redeeming. With the loss of one of my best friend's daughters, the loss of one of my favorite fellow youth pastor's wives and her unborn daughter, a sudden surgery (and pain meds that made me psycho for 3 weeks), my best school friend retiring, and our miscarriage, 2013 has proven itself to be quite a pit. My "new" was definitely not "good". Through my most painful times, The Lord revealed:

"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens" -Ecclesiastes 3:1

And when I felt alone: 
"The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." -Psalm 121:8

When I was tired:
"Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from Him." -Psalm 62:5

When I felt like things on earth were futile compared to pain that friends were feeling:
"For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him." -Colossians 1:16

And confirming that things on earth were small:
"Yes, everything is worthless when compared to the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake, I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ." -Philippians 3:80

As I confirm that the Word was given to us "... so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." -John 15:11

And when I didn't know what to feel:
"Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as The Lord forgave you. And over all of these virtues, put on love which binds them together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in you, since as members of one body, you were called to peace. And be thankful..."

I have learned the benefit of memorizing the Word of The Lord so in my weakest moments, God's words echo through my mind.

"...Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." -Colossians 3:12-16

Even though in my eyes, the "new" wasn't good, in God's plan, our "good" doesn't matter since "I know the plans I have for you, declares The Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

In the midst of "putting roads in deserts and streams in thirsty lands", I have learned that for roads to be put down, ground has to be torn up and rocks have to be moved. And I have to remind myself to:
"Praise The Lord, my soul, and forget not all His benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases. Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion." -Pslam 103:2-4

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that The Lord has promised to those who love Him." -James 1:12

As I posted my final verse for 2013 today, I was moved to tears that my year has gone from "creating something new" to "persevering under trial" and "redeeming from the pit." I am hoping that the construction of the roads in deserts and streams in thirsty lands is a calmer process. However, I am so grateful for The Lord brought these scriptures to me this year. I have been overwhelmed that these words play in my mind as vividly as a person speaking them to me. 

As we prepare for 2014 "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ. And through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him." -2 Corinthians 2:14

Lead us, Lord, into 2014 in a triumphal procession in You so we may spread Your love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment