Saturday, December 3, 2016

Favorite Chex Mix!!




Tis the season to eat chex mix, fa la la la la la la la la 

So, I love many, many, many, many things about Christmas. But, one of my FAVORITES is Chex Mix. We adapted the traditional recipe a few years ago and this is what it has become!! Here is a play by play!

The players: all 3 types of chex (generic works as well as name brand... but the name brand was on an end cap, so I gave them $2 more. You're welcome, Sam Walton.) Cheetos, pepper jack cheez-its, salted peanuts, bagel chips, and normally, we would do potato sticks, but I'm a poop and forgot them! (While I know you can microwave it, I'm a traditionalist. I love the smell of it baking and the crunch it gets. So, I always bake it)



I just use the original chex recipe on the back of the box



3 cups rice chex


3 cups corn chex


I discriminate against Chex. They are NOT all created equal. (I guess the founding fathers didn't like adverbs. Shouldn't that have been "equally"?)

BAGEL CHIPS!! They're hard to find in the grocery store. I have always found them in the deli/bakery (I have zero idea why the CHIPS aren't with the CHIPS??). I put them out on my cutting board and just break them up as I'm adding them with the cereals. I think I did 2-3 cups? 



Cheetos!! Whenever we buy bagged Chex Mix, Lee always hates when he gets the bag after me because all that's left is the pretzels because IF PRETZELS AREN'T SOFT AND DIPPED IN HONEY MUSTARD OR CHEESE SAUCE, THEY ARE A WASTE OF CALORIC INTAKE! So, we use Cheetos for flavor and deliciousness. And, well, CHEETOS!

We also use pepper jack Cheez-its. We like the little bit of somethin' somethin' that it gives the flavor.

About 2 Cups of salted peanuts



Grab your biggest lasagna pan and mix it together with your hands. 


As a kid, I was always taught to put the seasoning in the bottom of the pan and then toss it. I changed it up and melt the butter in the microwave and mix the rest of the seasoning in the measuring cup and then pour it over the top. It was much less stressful being worried about the seasoning getting on every piece of the glorious mix. (Yes, Chex Mix stresses me)

Also, put a sheet pan under the lasagna pan. This stuff bakes at 250 for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. I used to try to stir it inside the oven without a sheet pan. By the end of it, I had tons of cereal smoking and charred in the bottom of the oven. Now, I take it out of the oven and set it on top of the stove and stir it (Closing the oven to keep the temperature up). And the sheet pan catches any runaways. It has saved a TON of mess. 


Store it in an airtight container! If I was going to add potato sticks, I would probably do around 2 cups! Use your hand to hold the chex in while you're stirring. This is the hardest part of it all! (That, and trying to not eat it all in one sitting...)
This stuff is seriously addictive!! Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment