Sunday, March 9, 2014

I'm leaving on a jet plane...

Okay... we're not really. I was asked by Kendra to write a blog about my favorite place I've ever traveled. I've done a decent amount of traveling in my day, so picking a spot was the toughest part. I began to consider my favorite trips:
- Multiple family vacations to Myrtle Beach, SC. (or as we call it here in WV, "The Beach") This would include lots of time with the clan, and tons of fun with Nina (even though she much prefers the pool to the ocean or sand). We're creatures of habit and comfort, therefore "the beach" is always a winner.
- Several trips to Walt Disney World with my 2 favorite times being in 2004 when all 4 Lowes were adults and had an "adult" Disney trip. (All very relative, knowing we still rode as many rides as possible) and in 2009 with just me and Lee as we laid around the pool and decided that it was time to add children to our family (Nina was born 13 months later).
- Several super fun trips to visit Lee's sister and BIL in D.C. (Bless their hearts, they're our permanent tour guides. And cupcake guides. I don't think they mind that part.)
- A few trips to visit my Auntie. (both in Seattle and Brussels) I haven't taken Lee to Seattle yet, mostly bc I know we would be moving there before our return flight. That city is his spirit animal. Or city. Whatever.
- And a family trip this past summer to watch my childhood "little sister" get married in Alaska. Such a beautiful state. If only it wan't so blasted far away! 

I decided to focus it on mine and Lee's weekend getaway spot, Stonewall Resort.

When Lee and I were engaged, we read a ton of books and our amazing friends, JD and Rhonda, met with us regularly to help walk us through marriage to help us think past the bells and butterflies and discuss conflict, finances, children... And we always found some food, too. One of the things we discussed was the need to keep romancing each other after diaper changes were more frequent than weather changes in WV in March.  

I nursed Nina for 13 months, therefore never spent the night away from her. As Lee's 30th birthday approached, we decided we would go away, the two of us, to celebrate. After much apprehension, we left Nina with Grami and drove an hour and fifteen minutes north to this local resort that friends had raved about. 



As we drove in, we found an incredible lodge and we were immediately in love. We checked in, went to have burgers at TJ Muskies that has fireplaces and a cozy environment. We fell in love with their Fripps and Dip (They're not fries and they're not chips. But they ARE addicting and amazing.) and the Smokehouse Burger. (Bacon, smoked Gouda, BBQ sauce, French fries onions. Yum!)



They have an outdoor, lake front fire pit and often have s'mores supplies handy and Adirondack chairs set up. They have an indoor/outdoor heated pool. With hot tubs both indoor and outdoor. There are maps of all kinds of trails, a campground, and a super nice golf course. ("Super nice" is how those of us who always come in last in put-put describe courses that bring people in based on the course alone.) Lee and I love early morning running there.



In the mornings, their breakfast buffet at Stillwater's is top notch. Be sure you don't miss their homemade granola. You will thank me. 

The beds are comfortable and rates are affordable. The spa is top of the line. We've had a couple's massage, a facial, pedicures...  Love it. 

We love that it's so close by and we can make quick, one-night trips. (Very important when you're married to a pastor and Sunday is a work day.) We also love that it's a spot that has everything you need without leaving the property. 

My favorite part is that it has become our weekend date place. We both chose to celebrate our 30th birthdays there and went there for a reset getaway this past fall. It has been the place where we're reminded that before we were "mom and dad" we were "Carmen and Lee". It feels like a quick, mini-honeymoon fully equipped with beautiful views, awesome food, and tons of togetherness. Stonewall is where we fall in love again every time we go.

(Mushy post over.)

1 comment: