Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Our New Challenge

This past weekend, was a 5K to honor our sweet Julia. If you've been reading for a while, you know that Julia has been memorialized through several different running events.


Why running? Our motto has been "I run for those who can't." Since Julia was never able to walk, we choose to use our legs in honor of her.

To read how the 5K went, read Cami's recap here

After the race, Cami asked if I thought she would be able to run a half-marathon. A thing about Camille is that she has so much of her mother and me in her, that she is stubborn enough to do something as ridiculous as running 13.1 miles.

Cue my mind into a rapid line of thinking. The morning of the race, I was on standby in case someone didn't show up to help direct, register... wherever they needed help. A great thing about a great cause like, Make A Wish, everyone was there and eager beavers to help. So, I was there for moral support; free to walk or run. Check out this picture of the start line:

See that? No? Let me zoom in:

There I am. Watching. It is true that it was a monsoon in the hour leading up to the race and having both kids in the stroller may have given a new sense of "end" to the finish line. However, the underlying truth of this picture was tough for me to swallow. I ran my last race when I was 6 weeks pregnant. Due to a very complicated pregnancy that had several months of rest time after delivery, I only ran one time since that race. While not completely sedentary, I haven't been nearly as active as my pre-pregnancy self. 

Cami told me about the race she was considering. The Air Force half-marathon is on Sept 19 (Just a few days after, what would have been Julia's 19th birthday). It is also two days after Brooks' first birthday and the anniversary of me beating HELLP syndrome. Then I thought "You have nearly died in childbirth twice. Surely to goodness, you can be the comeback kid to celebrate these two events with your mini-me!" Then I thought, "You're an idiot! You haven't run in over a year!" While both of these are true, Lee and I sat down and looked at training plans and decided that I could do it. It was definitely not going to be a race built on a solid base of months of regular running (As recommended), but it will be a race built on endurance of tougher things overcome.

I texted Cam that I would do it. (Then proceeded to say "That darn Millie" multiple times over the next day.)

Yesterday, I laced up my Mizunos, put on my Garmin (Tried to put on my iPod mini, but it was dead. Like, so dead that 30 minutes of charge still didn't enable it to function to go for a run. Have I mentioned how long it has been since I last ran?!), and went for a run. And today, I did the same. My body hurts in ways it hasn't in a long time. But my head is clear and excited. (And, yes, I am that crazy girl raising hands in worship as I run.)

We want to open it up to everyone to join us in Ohio in 12 weeks! If you ran the 5K last weekend, you already have the base ready to roll with a training plan. Here is the plan that Cami and I will be following to be ready: Hal Higdon's Novice 1. While this plan is Hal's most basic plan, I promise you, you will be prepared. It's a 12 week plan and we are 12 weeks out!  We are talking about getting Team Julia dry-fit shirts made for the event. We really hope you join us!

There is nothing like setting a goal and achieving it. For my most immediate goal, I will attempt to stand up.

Let the training begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment