Thursday, January 30, 2014

Onions

Yes. This post will be as fascinating as the title sounds. Many personalities are described like onions: "You have to peel back the layers to see what you're really getting." Anyone who knows me, knows this is definitely not true of me. I'm kind of like... grapes. I may be sweet at times, may be sour at times, may even have wrinkles spots, but you know exactly what you're getting into at first glance.

Anyway, as I have stated before, we try to save money a lot. I also really like to cook. I recently discovered that I wasn't being frugal, green, or like the culinary genius that I'm not, and I have been buying frozen onions that are prediced. 

I know it's sad. But, I never completely learned how to quickly dice an onion without crying all of my mascara off and reeking of onion. (Which, with being a high school teacher, always makes me wonder if it's onions or if I really have body odor)

So, I do what the Boso family always does when curious about how to do something: go to YouTube! (Seriously how Lee learned to tie a bow tie) I immediately went and bought a bag of onions and put my new knowledge to work. I was amazed at how quick, easy, non-teary, and un-stinky the whole process was. Also, HOW MUCH CHEAPER it is. After a few nights of practice, I literally stayed awake for a while (after I turned off House Hunters International. Oh, snow days. You've ruined my sleep schedule.) thinking about how much I love cutting onions. And folding fitted sheets. My brain is a very exciting place to be, I tell ya. 

Apparently the tears are triggered when the root is cut off. So, here is the technique I learned (and if you've known this for years and are thinking, "She is so lame." you are so right.)

Get an onion and a sharp knife. Preferably the santoku style

Cut the onion in half from root to stem

Cut off the stem and peel the onion and lay half cut side down on a cutting board

Put the palm of your hand on the onion and cut horizontally through the onion about 3/4 of the way. If it's a small to medium size, do 1 cut. If it's a really big one, cut in thirds. 

Now, take your knife and make many vertical cuts down with the knife around ge same plan as where your horizontal cut stopped. 

Now, cut across the vertical cuts and repeat the steps with the other half. 

You will have an onion diced to the fineness you want and it will be done super quickly!

And if you think about it enough, maybe your Nannie will give you your favorite thing from her kitchen from your childhood. 
(I was FaceTiming with my brother yesterday when I showed him I inherited the onion and potato bin. He was as excited as I was.)

There, you have it: an intriguing post on onions. Your life is now more complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment