Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow Day, Snow Day (singing)

 It's official. I have been off of work for a week and, by the looks of things, I may be off a little longer. We had a foot of snow and today is the only "break" we getting and the temperatures are in the single digits. Sounds like more than another half foot on its way tomorrow. I love snow and I love snow days. But, I would be lying if didn't admit that I spent a long time lingering at the gardening section at Lowe's last night. I'm slightly concerned that my time in Alaska this summer, that left me wondering if I could live there, may be part of this constant snow. However, it's warmer there than here. Anyone want to move up to AK?!
So, I've been trying to keep us all entertained for a few days. I can't run right now for more than 25 minutes because of a strained quad (22 days from the half. Awesome.) (I've seen a physical therapist. I'm resting, heating, icing, and stretching, as recommended. I WILL run.) 

Because I can't run, can't work, can't really leave the house, and it's too cold to play outside, we have been doing a TON of cooking. Like, I'd better get back to running or I'm going to be braving the snow-covered roads to get to the mall to purchase new pants. 

For Christmas, I got Ree Drummond's second cookbook. I looked through it and before bed on Christmas day, I had already ordered her first. She basically takes "normal people food" and makes it "awesome people food". Nearly every recipe has been knock-you-over-on-the-first-bite type of food. Here are some of our favorites from the last few weeks:
Chicken Pot Pie (Probably my favorite of all. My girlfriend, Anne, gave me the hint to only use half of the shortening in the pie crust, and for the other half, use butter. A.maz.ing.)

Coffee Cream Cake (This is currently in my kitchen and I think about it all the time.)
French Breakfast Puffs (typing the name may or may not have forced me to walk to the kitchen to get one)

All the recipes have heated up well and, for the main courses, I've been making full recipes so Lee and I can have leftovers for lunch. However, because we don't need 7 pans of cinnamon rolls, I have been using half recipes for the baking. My aunt got me this awesome cooking conversion magnet that I have used nearly every day for almost 8 years. Definitely a "can't live without" in my kitchen. (Thanks, Auntie!)

My college bestie, Katie, (who is equally as obsessed with The Pioneer Woman) and I have discovered the awesomeness of the cast iron skillet. Lee and I inherited our skillets from our grandmothers who have both passed away. So, not only are they seasoned with years of cooking, they're also very sentimental.  (Here is one skillet cooking Eggs in a Hole. Or Chicken in a Basket. Or Popeyes....)

My current favorite gadget is an appliance that acts as a grill, a griddle, a panini press, a flat press...  I use it for grilled cheese, chicken breasts, vegetables, Lee made pancakes (why does it always seem like pancakes are a man's domain??). I seriously can't get enough of it and use it all the time. The plates are dishwasher safe too. Love it. (And it's made by Cuisinart which has an excellent warranty and great customer service.)

Anyway. That's what we've been up to in our snowed-in villa. I think I'll stick to cooking instead of measuring snow on the back porch that caused me to fall down steps and I now have a very bruised back. Another story for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment