Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My 2013 goals

I've never been huge on resolutions. Most years, I resolve to eat better, but that "better" is in comparison to the two weeks prior to the new year. (Cookies, chips, Cheetos, and oh my word, my family's Christmas Eve tradition of the Honeybaked Ham ham salad. Love. It.)

Last January, I read a book about goal setting called "PUSH" written by Chalene Johnson that completely kept me from doing the unreachable goals of biting off more than I could chew. Her philosophy is to make a "push goal" and then other goals around it. The "push"'s goal (pun totally intended) is to be a larger goal that will help you meet multiples of your ten goals for the year. So, I'm going to give my goal for 2013 and give them a grade as to how I met (or didn't meet) them this year!

1. I am XXX lbs by March 1. B+
I'm really unsure how to rate that one. The goal was set and met a few times through the year, but think that number was only attainable when I was nursing. I think I have found a better goal for me as a non-nursing self that is obtainable and maintainable. I am a firm believer in the Weight Watchers program. When I got pregnant with Nina, I gained 41 pounds and I lost 71. In my younger years, I really struggled with not eating enough and thinking "If I only have a can of diet soda for lunch, I'll totally get thin." Praise Jesus, I have recovered from that logic and I swear a lot of it is WW. Healthy, easy, forgiving, and encourages fruits and veggies (0 points for a banana?! Don't mind if I do!) (No sign up fee right now. Go! Sign up! Lose!)

2. We will...(a financial goal for the family). A
A few years ago, we adopted "The Mint" which is an awesome website (we use the app) that helps you set budgets for every area in your life and sends reports, updates, etc. It has really helped us to know what we're spending and where we're spending. (Thanks Rachel for telling us about it!) We still have a little ways to go, but we're so close, we can taste it!

3. I have done 3 Bible studies. A
I took a hiatus from the last one because of the miscarriage, but all-in-all, accomplished. Check!

4. I have an active herb garden. B-
If it was phrased "had", it would be an A. I started my garden this summer and it was doing GREAT. However, I didn't pull them in before it started frosting and have found myself in a panicked scurry looking for cilantro at the grocery. Mom did get me this awesome herb keeper, so hopefully my store-bought ones will last a little longer until planting season comes back around in a few months.


5. I have been under budget for groceries every month A+! (This was my "Push" goal)
I have worked really hard at this one. And even though I am not an extreme couponer (I am obsessed with that show. Are they running a marathon on it like they usually do?! Please say yes. Please say yes.). We make menus every week and make a grocery run for all we need. I try to look at sales papers, combine store and manufacturer coupons... but really, it's just knowing what your budget looks like when it's in a buggy. I was a little over budget in December, but was under budget several months, so, it equals out! Woot!

6. Make more diligent effort for dates (both with Nina and Lee) B+
Overall, we did this. With Nina, it was a lot of puzzle dates and teaching her about being in the kitchen, etc. (Girl LOVES to cook). Lee and I did a lot of TV dates after putting Nina to bed. We did several family days, took Nina to see her first "feeder" (theater) movie (Frozen is SO good, y'all), and took her to her first fancy restaurant last night. (She was perfect. Her two little hands holding her crystal water glass... oh, just too much!!) The biggest thing is leaving my phone out of sight and reach and enjoying my family. I always feel like there's room for improvement (Is there such thing as "too much time together"? Okay, teenagers, I know your answer ;)), hence the B rating.

7. I ran a half-marathon. A+
We ran Knoxville in April and are training to run Myrtle Beach in a few short weeks! (My hind end needs a date with my iPod and Mizunos today. Oh, Christmas/New Years, you have ruined my running routine) This goal has only been accomplished because Lee encourages me to run and makes it easier for me to leave (taking care of Nina, starting dinner, running the vacuum...). He is seriously, the best. (Mush, over.)

8. I have given away 2 bags of clothing.) A+
Actually did 4 and am about to bag up more! (I have to remind myself that just because it does fit, doesn't mean it should...)

9. I no longer have a junk room. A
We have 4 bedrooms in our house. Our master (Including the bathroom and the "sitting room") (Nina calls the sitting room, the rocket ship. I think hers is more fun) is the size of our first house. HUGE. ("huge" being the bedroom. Not the house. The house was fully-cleanable in 2 hours.) However, the extra rooms aren't so big. It has taken us a while, but the back bedroom is now a cleaned out, guest room. (Except for at this moment. It is currently holding Nina's old furniture since we traded bedroom suits for her this week.) Junk rooms are like that: clean them out, wait. clean them out again, wait....

10. Complete a Turbo Fire rotation. D
I completed 7 of the 16 week program when I started training for Knoxville and never really got back on it. We use a lot of the pieces (Especially the yoga and abs/core DVDs) on a regular basis, but haven't combined them to be a continual program. Maybe I'll make that a new goal and do it after Myrtle? I LOVE her music and my abs never looked as good as they did on that program. If you're a DVD worker-outer, I HIGHLY recommend it. (Same chick who wrote this book)

It may have been a rather terrible year, in some areas, but I have accomplished a ton of goals (Some that I hadn't set out to do). I'm praying that 2014 finds us all more motivated and less painted on smiles and more peace. Auld lang syne, y'all. Auld lang syne.

1 comment: